The Garth Hotel has a long history dating back to when it was built in 1769 by James Grant who was the Clerk and Factor to Sir James Grant of Grant – it was used as a private residence. 1776 – the Laird took back the house and rented it to Thomas Cornish a stocking maker who received a state subsidy – £25 per annum – Cornish ended up employing 42 people by 1778. This subsidy was withdrawn in the 1780s and Cornish left Strathspey and made these people unemployed.
In the 1870s, owned by a Mr. Stewart, the building was rented to Church of Scotland as a Manse for around 12 years when another manse was built (Ravenscourt Hotel). In Victorian times the building was know as the Corner/White House. Stewarts long time widow died in 1935 and was bought by local ironmonger Mr. W. G. Donaldson and at this stage it was converted to the Garth Hotel. The hotel was requisitioned as an Army Billet during the second World War and returned to Donaldson when the war was over. Donaldson’s still operate a shop in the High Street to this day.
The Hotel has been extended many times into what you can enjoy today – steeped in history, based in the community for the use of the local people as well as visiting tourists – employing local staff.
After nearly a 25 year ownership, the Garth has changed hands – Amity Hospitality have had a relationship with the Garth that started back in 1998, only to be re-introduced into the business back in 2018, as the Management Company overseeing the day to day operation. As with all businesses, COVID-19 has had a devastating effect on the hospitality business in the UK, and since closure back in March 2020 the hotel has remained closed. However, we are delighted to be able to offer the Garth to all of its followers and guests, re-opening on February 1st 2021. Our commitment is to employ local people where possible, support other local businesses and grow this business to the benefit of visiting tourists and locals alike.